06 March 2011

And sow it begins...

This is it! 
My first blog post... 

I never thought I'd become a blogger, I don't like writing, and am not sure anyone will benefit from this, but me! However, I decided to start a blog this year about my new adventure in acquiring a green thumb. I'm doing everything I can to learn as much as there is to know about growing my very own organic vegetable garden. It will be a challenge, but this blog is serving as my accountability! If I sow a seed and blog about it, it will grow right?!

I'm quickly finding out that growing a vegetable garden is very similar to my new adventure in motherhood, with the same process of reading all the books, preparing the best environment, feeding the best food... not to mention the many successes, and many failures to learn from! My son Callen is 8 months old, and I'm so excited for him to be able to enjoy this garden as much as I already do! It may be wishful thinking, but maybe this is the key to getting my son to enjoy eating his vegetables! 

My best friend Heidi is the main inspiration for starting this garden (she actually has a green thumb!), and my husband Joel is the much appreciated hired help in building the garden beds. But my true partner in crime with this endeavor is my sister (in-law, but I don't like that term!) Elisa. Neither of us know much now, but we will soon!! =)

Last week, Elisa and I started our first round of seed starts in my kitchen. Our first 182  peat pots have been sown with sugar snap peas, kale, and three types of tomatoes. I'd give you the specific varieties, but at this point in my education, I'm not sure the difference yet, so I'll keep you posted on their varied successes. We are pretty proud of the fact that by day 7, four of the five varieties we planted are sprouting! And I'm sure the tomatoes are just waiting for the right opportunity to join their friends.  

Before I leave you, I must share some of my favorite partners in research. My weekly visits to our public library have discovered You Grow Girl, by Gayla Trail. She also wrote Grow Great Grub, which is currently on my books to buy list. She is an amazing gardener that keeps it simple, and proves that organic gardening can happen anywhere from a 1-acre plot, to a garbage can in an urban neighborhood. Another favorite is a book that my husband added to my personal library over Christmas, called The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Organic Food, by Tanya L.K. Denckla. So far I've used that more than any other, and highly recommend it to anyone growing an organic garden. There have been many others as well, which I'll share with you later once we hit the specifics of each stage of gardening. 

Thanks for following, and I hope you enjoy this as much as I do~ 

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I can't wait to share in all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I had a garden when you and Cassie were babies without reading all of the books...somehow I just did it...so glad that there are many resources available for you now...can't wait to benefit from your garden! Love you...

    ReplyDelete