12 April 2011

It's planting time!

Wow, it's finally here!
Corn sprouts!
It's been way too long since my last post! Since the last time we've talked, there has been some sweet corn, zucchini, carrots, beans and carrots planted/started. They are all doing fabulously and are itching to be planted in the raised beds... which have also been completed since we've talked last! Since it's been awhile, I have way too many photos to share. Bare with me while this ends up being more of a story board, than a blog!

Family work party!
The garden beds are beautiful, if I can brag about my husband. He did a fantastic job, and created a perfect home for all our veggies. The beds are lined with recycled cardboard from our composter that we bought, and the many diapers we've purchased! They are then lined with weed blocker fabric, as a double dose of treatment! And then are filled with an organic vegetable garden mixture that is 70% compost. The locals rave about it, so here's to hoping it lives up to it's name! Thank you so much to my family for helping get all this done!

Hardening Veggies!
Over the past two weeks I've started the hardening process... although I must admit that it has been somewhat haphazardly... as in, only days that I remember, or just opening the window for an hour or two to let some cold air in! But now, I'm inpatient and in the ground they go!

Elisa and I started planting today! It was quite an emotional experience... we are so worried about our little seedlings and how they are going to make it in the big cold, windy, and sunny world! I'm sure they will thrive on their new bound independence; especially with all the spring sun they are about to enjoy. My son is experiencing his new independence as well... crawling as quick as he can, and creeping along furniture, ready to walk on his own any day! Really? At 9.5 months?! Time goes by way too fast.
Carrot sprouts, with Callen in the background!

Elisa!
With the beds filled with veggies, it is abundantly clear that we were very ambitious in planting are seed starts! Between the two beds, we only need to fill about 25% and we have over 100 starts left over! Oops!! Oh well, we've learned so much, so it is great to have extras. Besides, I was able to trade some with Heidi for some jalapeno, paloma, and bell peppers and basil... yummy! The rest will find a home around the yard, at Elisa's house, or in pots on the deck. We are doing nothing but experimenting this year, so might as well add different environments to the mix!

Our plans/scribble!
When laying out the garden plan, we used the Territorial Seed Company Garden Planner. It is awesome! Once you select all your veggies and the space to plant them, it even maps out when to sow, thin, and harvest your plants. I highly recommend it. However, I also recommend to double check your plant compatibility. For instance, did you know that kale and onions don't like each other? Me neither, until now! There are many great resources out there that will share what plants should be planted next to others, and which ones to avoid. This can affect common diseases, and even vegetable production.

Plant ID sticks! 
Our local Poulsbo Farmers Market opened this past weekend. I was excited to see that it has grown in size this year, and was especially happy to see some of my favorite vendors return. I was hoping to purchase my herb starts this weekend, but there still wasn't much out there. Instead, I came home with two lemon scented geraniums and six Quinault Strawberry plants. What a treasure a farmer's market is! They are working on becoming year round... so exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment